CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Fitness business in Quebec, can it operate within Ontario?

Expert: John R Mott

Nicole asked:

I am running a fitness business in Quebec by providing personal fitness to people. I go to their homes and help them with exercise and nutrition plans.

I want to do the same in Ontario and provide an exercise class. If my business is registered in Quebec, can I conduct business in Ontario and give training classes in a centre in Ontario.

I am registered as a sole proprietorship.

John R Mott answered:

Yes, you are certainly free to carry on business in Ontario. If you carry on your business under a name other than your own name (e.g. Dynamic Fitness), then you may want to protect that name for use in Ontario by registering as a sole proprietorship in Ontario. You can do this online. But if protecting a business name is not important, then you can skip this step.

Since you will continue to reside in Quebec, you will continue to file your income taxes in Quebec. There will be no Ontario income taxes to file.

If you are registered for the federal GST/HST, you will have to charge this tax to your Ontario clients. Currently the rate is five per cent for Ontario residents. Commencing July 1, 2010, this rate jumps to 13 per cent in Ontario.

You are not required to charge Quebec sales tax to your Ontario clients.

About the author

John Mott is a chartered accountant and tax specialist with a private practice in mid-town Toronto. He provides tax, accounting and advisory services to individuals and small businesses. He may be visited online at:

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.