CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Do employees of a U.S. company working for a few days need to pay taxes in Canada?

Expert: Howard Levitt

Susan asked:

I'm in the HR department of a U.S. based company. We have a permanent establishment in Canada. We have Canadian customers. Our U.S. employees sometimes travel to Canada to attend meetings, and to oversee the installation and maintenance on equipment. Do my U.S. employees need to pay taxes on the money that they earn while in Canada? They are not working for a Canadian company, rather they are working for us, conducting business in Canada. If they do have to pay taxes, how do I set it up?

Howard Levitt answered:

If they are U.S. employees simply on a job in Canada for a few days at a time, they do not have to pay Canadian taxes.

About the author

Howard Levitt, Counsel to the national law firm Lang Michener. He is author of, The Law of Dismissal in Canada, The Quick Reference Guide to Employment Law and an upcoming book on Canadian Hiring Law. He is Editor In Chief of the Dismissal & Employmnet Law Digest.

Phone: (416) 307-4059
Website Bio:

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.