CanadaOne Twitter CanadaOne Linkedin CanadaOne Facebook CanadaONe RSS

Ask an Expert

Can GST paid on fuel be used to balance what is taken in?

Expert: Gord Ahier

James asked:

Can I use the GST paid on fuel to balance what I take in? It says on some receipts "non taxable GST."

Gord Ahier answered:

Fuel is a taxable supply. If you are incorporated or a sole proprietor, and you are registered for GST/HST, then the GST/HST paid on your fuel purchases should be included in the input tax credits claimed on your GST/HST return.

If you are a member of a partnership and the partnership is registered for GST and you personally paid the GST/HST on expenses that you have deducted from your share of the partnership income, you can file form GST370 to claim the GST/HST related to those expenses. Note that you can only claim a rebate to the extent that the partnership could have otherwise claimed an input tax credit if it had incurred the expense directly.

About the author

Gordon Ahier
McClurkin Ahier & Company LLP
Phone 519-725-2600 ext. 400
Fax 519-725-2484
Toll Free 877-725-2611
Visit us online at:

Click here to go back to Ask-an-Expert index page.